DMI Companies: Corporate Sustainability
The past two years have clearly been the most challenging economic environment in our company’s history. Commercial construction, our cornerstone market was devastated by a lack of demand, and where there was demand, a lack of credit. In addition, we experienced rollercoaster pricing. During 2010, we expanded our corporate sustainability efforts to include three areas: the sustainability of our products, our operations, and our lives. We hope this new structure and approach will make it easier for our stakeholders to understand how DMI Companies approaches sustainability.
The board of directors, management and our strategic planning group met throughout the period to develop this new framework for success. The results were dramatic. We adopted DMI2015, which is our “roadmap for the future” integrating our sustainable agenda into our core business strategy. Enhancing our vision, overarching strategic objectives and corporate initiatives, we increased the focused on sustainability. Working together, we are making clear progress toward a sustainable future at DMI Companies.
- Improved Vision – Become the preferred manufacturer and supplier of innovative, sustainable products and services to the building industry
- Sustainable Strategic Objective – Operate DMI Companies in a manner that protects and promotes the health and well-being of the environment
- Sustainable Initiatives to Change our Way of Life – We look to improve the environment by creating a strategic framework for sustainability
During 2010, we expanded our corporate sustainability efforts to include three areas: the sustainability of our products, our operations, and our lives. We hope this new structure and approach will make it easier for our stakeholders to understand how DMI Companies approaches sustainability.
At DMI, we continue to challenge ourselves with aggressive targets, higher expectations, and a broader mindset about incremental improvement among our company and its employees. I am very proud of what we have accomplished during this challenging time.
Some areas where we made demonstrable progress include the following (reference appendix for details):
- Energy Savings
- Water Savings
- Material and Waste Savings
- Stakeholder Engagement
- New Products and Services
- Launching our Sustainability Website (Click here for Sustainability Website)
We intend to focus additional resources in 2011 as follows:
- Product life cycle analysis
- Sustainable metrics dashboard
- LEED® certification of DMI Headquarters
- Solar energy production at DMI Headquarters
- Energy monitoring devices proudly displayed at DMI Headquarters
- GreenSeam System solutions for the residential marketplace
During these tough economic times, we committed ourselves to integrating sustainability as a core value for DMI; protecting the health and well-being of our employees and our communities; conducting business with the highest code of ethics; preserving the environment and our natural resources.
It is in this spirit that DMI recently became a signatory to the Energy Star Partnership and pledged our commitment to measure energy performance, continue to improve our Energy Management Plan, support the Energy Star Challenge, be an advocate of energy efficiency to the staff & the community, and to continue to report on our progress to the stakeholders.
I see an amazing future for DMI. I am confident we are training the next generation of professionals to be more sustainable. Our company will continue to be an energy efficiency leader in the market with energy saving products, energy efficient facilities, and energy savings employees. In summary, we will be a proud corporate partner to the community and the environment.
If you have any questions or comments about this subject or any other topic, please feel free to correspond with me at email@example.com
Raymond W. Yeager
President / CEO